Thursday, July 22, 2010

NYC Nostalgia

It was a trip I had wanted to make ever since my school days. The influx of cable TV had this demonstration effect upon me, that NYC was a place one should not miss visiting - the big apple of the ‘land of opportunities’!

It took many years between then and now. But I am glad that finally I have realized my childhood dream of setting foot upon NYC. Born in Kolkata, India and traveled across the length and breadth of my country. Junior schooling in Mumbai, high-school in Pune, dad’s frequent transfers – all put together gave me an opportunity to react to new places and people very well. Upon having reached New York, it took me no time to realize that the city was very electric and busy! No one has time for anyone, time is money, no free lunches in Wall Street – truly all these sayings were just invented for this city that’s always on the move!

I went to New York from Toronto by coach over night. I had taken two days leave to make my long week-end even longer! Put up at Asis’s, my friend and colleague from my previous company – Infosys. I am much indebted to him for his tolerance and patience in putting up with my erratic timings. I used to leave home in the morning and return late at night, so late that it used to be almost dawn! And Asis never uttered a word. Instead he was appreciative of the fact that I was making the most of my time.

My 5 day travel was split up in 2 phases– one part, the three day stay at Asis’s at night and city tour on the hop-in hop-off bus. The second part – Boston and Rhode Island two day conducted tour with GoTo buses. The hop-in hop-off buses are best way to experience a city one is traveling for the first time. Downtown, Wall Street Ground Zero, Trinity Church, Rockefeller Center (top of the Rock), Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, Brooklyn, New Jersey, NYC Museum, Library, Ellis Island, Liberty Island, Times Square, Central Park… – the list is long. Let me put it in simple words, I had been to all places worth going and did all that is worth doing!

Rhode Island and Boston trip was fabulous as well. Boston is a nice city, with the words most prestige Universities located within its precincts. Rode Island has a beautiful vista of the Ocean and offers a refreshing contrast to the rat-race of NYC.

Having conquered, New York, Boston and Rhode Island in five days, I sure did put my colleagues and friends in awe. This trip shall remain close to my heart for reasons more than one

No comments:

Post a Comment